Home

Meet the Teacher

Shop

Favorite Picture Books and more Classroom Photos



I am linking up with the fabulous Lindsey, from The Teacher Wife, {{love her blog}} for My Favorite Must Have Picture Books Linky party.
First, let me say that I just love to read.  I taught myself to read before my third birthday and have had my nose in a book since then.  As a matter of fact, I use to read all night long as a child getting light from a flashlight under my pillow.  I would visit the NYC Public Library 3 or 4 times a week and bring home bags of books.  I ruined my eyes doing this, had 20/400 vision by 4th grade and 20/650 by sixth grade. I got lasik about ten years ago and try to use proper lighting when reading. 
So, this list will be long.  I have taught kindergarten, first, second, fourth, fifth, middle school and even language arts in high school.  The latter two I did while getting my Master's degree over the course of two summers.  That is why I am sticking to primary...could never teach middle school again, even though I have two of them at home.  Middle school teachers are very special and I bow down to them.


Here is my primary picture book list:



The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

I remember when my first grade teacher read this to our class.  It was just published and she was so excited to read it.  I related to Peter and his adventures in the city snow.   I love how my firsties are always surprised that the next morning when  his snow is gone. So precious...



 Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch

This is a hilarious book about copycats.  Stephanie wants to be unique and different but her friends  copying her hairstyle. So she invents new ponytail hairstyles.  Finally, she outsmarts everyone, including her teacher. 



William's Doll by Charlotte Zolotow

 I read this book every year because it is perfect for sterotyping and deciding what is "girly" or for boys.  I love to connect to my son's doll, Baby Tom.  When I tell my firsties my son had a doll that he pretended was his dad as a baby, many boys confess they had one or wanted one.  I love the community it builds.



Walk On by Marla Frazee

This is a great book that sparks many conversations.  I love the message if you try and fall down, you get back up again.  As I always tell my firsties, if they didn't do that when they learned to walk, talk and go potty, they'd come to first grade in diapers, crawling, saying, "goo-goo, gaa-gaa".




Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts

EVERYONE can relate {and make connections} to this book. 
Jeremy wants cool shoes that everyone has.  He wants them so bad, he dreams about them.   Jeremy's grandma, who he lives with, tells him she cannot afford them. But then he finds them at a second hand shop.  I love what he does with them in the end. 

Such a beautiful story that sparks deep conversations.





We Are in a Book! by Mo Willems

I ADORE all of Mo's books. 
 I look forward to reading them to anyone who'll listen.  I read them loud and quiet and with all of my acting abilities. 
 {{No lie.  Ask my teamies who are in rooms next to me}}

This book is pure GENIUS.  Gerald and Piggie realize the reader is reading them.  They make us say things, like, "Banana".  The kids will ask to hear this one over and over again.  And they will read it just like you do!


Here is my intermediate picture book list:


Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

This book is about a black soldier rescuing a white soldier during the Civil War.  Readers learn about the injustices of slavery and the senselessness of war. 

 I cry

 every

 time I read it.




Faithful Elephants by Yukio Tsuchiya
 
 
 

The Memory String by Eve Bunting
 
I must like sad books. 
 
This book is about a girl whose Mom dies and the string with buttons on it.  Each button is from an article of clothing from her mother. 
 
Such a powerful story.
 
 

A Picture Book of Anne Frank by David Adler

One of my best friends growing up father was in Auschwitz as a child. He was the only survivor in his entire family.  He was sent to the US after the war.  He lived in NYC in foster care and soon got married. Because I was so young,  I didn't know why his left arm had a number tattoo on it. All I knew was he never talked about it.  During the summer before 4th grade, I checked out the Diary of Anne Frank from the library. I could not believe what I was reading. I had to research - while in the library, I read about  Hitler and Nazis.  Mom caught me.  She explained even more than the books had reported. I became fascinated with the subject.  I was young {probably too young} to learn about this horrible, horrible war. However, this book is a good introduction to the subject without getting to graphic.  I recommend it for the intermediate grades. 



Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges

This book is my favorite Ruby Bridges book but too long and detailed for firsties.  Ruby is my hero.  She is the bravest first grader I've ever known.  When I think about myelf and my own children, I doubt we could've endured what she did. No, I know we couldn't.  Ruby is a icon everyone should know about.


Be sure to link up with Lindsey to share your favorite picture books. 




 I like to have books displayed for themes, holidays, subjects, new books, etc.  I wanted shelving for this but then I saw this on Pinterest:




Isn't this darling?


So, I created this:







How did I do it?


I bought vinyl gutters, which were $5.40, at Home Depot. I also got decorative duct tape at Joanne's.  I cut the gutters, applied duct tape and screwed them into the walls.  Then, I put the books in the gutters.  Easy peasy!


What changes have you made in your classroom?



10 comments

  1. I need to read Stephanie's Ponytail. It looks like a cute book and several people have suggested it. Thanks for the great picks.
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gutters are a great idea for your books! I wouldn't have thought of that! I learned some new books too that I can't wait to look into!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of Robert Munsch's books, but Stephanie's Ponytail is my favorite one to read aloud to my class. Your rain gutter shelving turned out so cute with the decorative tape covering it. LOVE IT!
    Connie:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your shelves!!!!

    Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway.
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cecilia,

    I just nominated you for an award. Please stop by to pick it up.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great book ideas and I love your book displays. Thank you for sharing both primary and intermediate choices. There is a picture book called The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles. I use it with 5th graders, but you might be able to use it with 1st. It is such a powerful story of courage.

    Pink and Say along with many of Patricia Polacco's books are amazing stories. I get choked up every time I read it also. I also love the Memory String. Another tear jerker.

    You made me laugh when you said you bow down to middle school teachers. I agree, but have always used that line with primary teachers. You all have a special gift to teach those little ones as I call them. :)

    Check out our list if you get a chance at http://4321teach.blogspot.com/

    Antoinette :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read any of the books that you have listed. I'm going to now have to check them out :)

    ~Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the gutter idea! (I have a recent obsession with the cool patterned duct tape, but not a lot of ideas on what to do with it!!!) :)

    Thanks for the book ideas too!
    Angie
    Rulin' the Roost

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm your newest follower! HOORAY for me! Wonderful book choices. Thanks for sharing! Stop by and visit anytime!

    ReplyDelete