Home

Meet the Teacher

Shop

More Classroom Design Photos and Updated Common Core Subitizing Math Unit

We are going to New York in two days for an extended vacation.  My entire family as well as my husband's is in the NYC metropolitan area.  Even though I no longer live there, it is my home.  We are so excited to see family, swim in the ocean, shop in the city and just chill.  My body can't wait to be in the glorious humid climate.  Colorado is so dry. My allergies and nosebleeds are driving me BANANAS.  My skin, hair and lips are so dry that they are craving some moisture.
When we return, I will have less than two weeks until I report back to work.  I decided that I didn't want to spend those days setting up my room.  I want to relax and enjoy my last moments of summer.  Therefore, I have been going into school to set up.
Here are a few snapshots of what I've accomplished.

This is a bookcase my husband made for me about seven years ago.  I use to store books on top but decided to make it into seating.


The fabric is actually a cloth shower curtain I found at Target.

I haven't finished this side yet.
The books look like they need some organizing, too.


This is my outside wall.  According to fire code, I may not put paper or fabric on this wall.  I found this garland at the Dollar Tree.  I am still unsure if I actually like the garland border.  What do you think?


This is the largest wall in my room. My projector faces it so my Smartboard has to be along this wall.


 Our CAFE Board is on this wall.  The darling CAFE posters are from the incredible Ginger Snaps!  Did I mention they were FREE???
The zebra border separating CAFE is actually Duct Tape.  The border is garland I found at Party City.  I love the 3D look--and it was WAY easier than the scrunchy border!

Here is the hot pink border I used:
 




Here is the beginning of the math wall.  The sheet was a bargain at Walmart {$4.50} and the border is Duct tape to tie in with the CAFE Board.

As I examine {and try to absorb} Common Core standards, I am rethinking my teaching, lessons and products.  As I was contemplating the math standards, my mind wandered to one of my first products for TPT called Subitizing.  I made this unit after I took a few Math Recovery/ADDVantage Math Courses.  We all came to the conclusion that our required Everyday Math curriculum lacked the depth necessary for our primary kiddos to really develop number sense. My colleagues and I realized we needed to supplement our required curriculum.  Being the workhorse that I am, I immediately compilied a unit. 
I've learned a lot since then.  I've also taught it to close to one hundred kids since I created it.  I realized I needed to update the unit and after a few months, it is
 DONE.


Here is a sampling of what's included:




This is a compilation of Common Core lessons and activities similar to Math Recovery for subitizing. Subitizing is a way of instantly counting or immediately knowing how many are in a set without counting. Subitizing is a critical skill because it makes abstract mathematical ideas more concrete. Subitizing makes math more meaningful {and easier} instead of the traditional memorization method. Subitizing is part of the Common Core Standards.

Kindergarten
Counting and Cardinality(K.CC.1, K.CC.4, K.CC.5)
Operations and Algebraic Thinking (K.O.A.3)
Number and Operations in Base Ten (K.NBT.1)

First Grade
 Number and Operations in Base Ten (1.NBT.1, 1.NBT.5)
 Operations and Algebraic Thinking(1 O.A. 1, 1 O.A. 4, 1 O.A. 8)

Second Grade
Number and Operations in Base Ten (2.NBT.2)
Operations and Algebraic Thinking (2.O.A. 1)

Here is what's included:
Flash Activities, Ten Frame Games, Dot Plate Lesson, Can You Make Ten? Game, Flash Frenzy Game, Dot Card Activities-lesson, games, printable cards with regular and irregular patterns, Senses Subitizing Lesson, Bead Flash Lesson, Spill the Beans lesson, directions and recording sheet, Foam Block Lesson, Foam Block Flash, Shake Your Counters lesson, directions and recording sheets, Part-Part-Whole Lesson and template and subitizing homework activities.
You can use this product with the whole class,a small group, one on one as well as math intervention.
Perfect for grades K-2 or intervention for intermediate grades.
Get it here.




4 comments

  1. Thank you for the info on subitizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just saw your garland idea! I was going to give the scrunchy boarder a try next week when I finally get into my room. I think I will be heading to the party store to check out some garland instead! Great idea! I also like the duct tape idea for sectioning your cafe board. That may work for my word wall! Great ideas! Thank you!
    Holly
    First Grade is a Treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecelia - Love your sideways book shelf turned seating bench...very clever. Swing on by and link up at my linky. This post is perfect because you are already talking about your new york trip.
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shower curtains? Awesome awesome idea! I'm stealing it!

    ReplyDelete