Home

Meet the Teacher

Shop

Review of First Week

Oh.my.goodness!  It has been awhile since I've blogged.  I have been CONSUMED with my son's not so spectacular start of middle school.  The poor kid was so excited to start but they were not

less than ready for him.

He got to school the first day.  Everyone had a locker except him.  Of course, the autistic special ed. student did not have a locker.  All they needed to do is crank off the combination lock.  Simple, right? 
Evidently not.
Then, he didn't have his IEP mandated aide.  So, he was on his own.  He got to 4th period, lunch, took one step into the lunchroom with hundreds of kids, none of whom he knew, and made a b-line for the door.  Security guards and teachers chasing him, he sat in the middle of a field.  Then, he saw the SRO (police officer) and ran to the parking lot.  Thank goodness no cars were driving through.  He found refuge underneath a vehicle. 
The next day the sped teacher gave him a worksheet and he lost it.  You see, Nick doesn't write.  He's always had an aide scribe or a laptop.  Since he had neither, he acted out.  Then, he was carried to the time out room. Finally, they called me up to get him.  I refused as I don't believe in rewarding misbehavior.  And I don't appreciate educators blaming children for their mistakes.  My husband complied, however, and demanded a meeting.  It is amazing what he had to endure to get his IEP accomodations to be met.  I don't understand this one bit.


The first week of my school was FABULOUS. I am in love with the 17 little angels in my class.  They are the sweetest, kindest, cutest group of kids EVER. We are going to have a fantastic year!

Here is a pinterest inspired first day photos:



 
Here I am with one of my new sweeties:
 
 
We spent a lot of time discussing responsibilities of a first grader and reviewing the rules.  Here is the David Goes to School Craftivity we did.
 

 
 
It's a freebie on TPT.  Get it here.
 
That's it for now.  I've gotta go help the kids with homework and cook dinner.  Have a fabulous week!
 
 
 
 

4 comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your son's start to middle school. That would be rough for any child, and I just hope it gets better for him...and you! Thanks for the freebie - too cute!

    Kelly
    FirstGradeFairytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kelly. Appreciate the kind words:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your son! Thankfully, he has great advocates...you and his dad! I hope he gets what he needs and deserves and fast. Good luck!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your son's rocky start. Bravo to you and your husband for standing your ground to get him what he needs to be successful.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete