Home

Meet the Teacher

Shop

In the Mood for Love {and Super Sale}

I ADORE this time of year!  There are so many fabulous topics to cover.  We started learning about famous African Americans right before MLK, Jr. Day and will continue this until the end of February {or longer}.  We've studied some of my heroes; Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges.  We read this book:

Then watched the movie from Disney-

This movie is pretty realistic, and a little shocking for the kids but they truly get it.  I think it is important for people to know the real history of our country instead of turning a blind eye so we can change it for the better.  We always send home a letter  explaining the film and encouraging discussion afterward at home.
Last year I had a parent who was alive when this happened (1960s) and never heard of Ruby.  He researched it and thanked me for teaching him, too.  It's moments like that when I realize how lucky I am to be a teacher.

First graders have been inferring like pros!  I saw these inferring bags on Pinterest and decided to give them a try. 



If these are your idea, please let me know so I can credit you!!!

Finally, we've been learning about writing How-to's.  The owner of my favorite NY style pizza here in Colorado {Anthony's Pizza} came in to teach us how to make a pizza.


The students had clipboards and a flow map to draw the steps.
Afterwards we got to eat pizza--personally my favorite part!  I ate around 4 slices...yum!


We made these adorable snowmen after reading Snowmen at Night.



Just in time for the big Super Sale, I finished Morning Work #8 and In The Mood for Love.

These are aligned with CCSS and are my top sellers. 



If you watch football, enjoy the game and have fun shopping the Super Sale!  Everything in my shop is 28% off! 
Now, I'm going shopping!

Cecelia




1 comment

  1. I just found your blog! I love your post about the inference bags. Would you mind sharing the page you attached to the bags? My students will have so much fun with these! Thank you for sharing your great ideas... lovejunk@fnmmail.com

    ReplyDelete