Home

Meet the Teacher

Shop

Busy, Busy Summer

I don't know about you, but I feel as if I am busier in the summer than during the school year.  Part of it may be me.  I try to keep my children busy and sign them up for lots of activities.  It may be that my daughter is on Level 5 in cheer and she has more obligations.  Or it may be that I made a schedule for myself {that I am trying to stick to}. Our state is fully implementing Common Core Standards this year and I want to make sure I have a solid grasp on them as well as have enough resources.  So, I've been creating them.  I also wanted to fulfill requests I've had from other grade levels to create engaging, rigorous, Common Core products for them.  I'm not done yet but am satisfied with my progress.  
I am getting anxious, though, when I see people's blog postings and Instagrams showing their classroom all set up.  I have not been in my room since June 4th and don't really want to go back yet. I'm just

not. ready. 
 
This past week has had it's ups and downs.  I am working hard to keep my son's anxiety at bay but nudge him into being social.  It is not going so well. 
 
  On Wednesday, we were at a Junior High Church function at a local reservoir. Everyone was at the beach and my son went to the opposite end of the reservoir to fish.
   I finally coaxed him into going to the beach. When we got there, he overheard someone talking about renting a boat. Then, if course, he wanted to do the same. When I said, "No", he went ballistic. Punching me, screaming, kicking me, cursing-- in front of everyone. I packed us up and walked to the car with tons of eyes on me- as he was chasing me, swinging at me!
I remained calm, albeit embarrassed, but mostly sad for him. He wants friends but it is difficult when you are autistic and even more so when you have public displays such as this. Sometimes I just don't know what to do or how this fits into God's plan for us.
   We both cried the whole way home and climbed into bed for a nap. Poor boy was so embarrassed and sad. Today he asked to go to adult church with me because he did not want to face the kids just yet. Not sure what I will do about that {we still have 3 hours before the last service}.


Things got better after that day. I've been busy with my daughter's cheer schedule since Friday. She has been working so hard to grow in her skills. I honestly don't know how she does it, especially in this heat. She tumbled for 4 hours Friday and 3 hours straight on Saturday. I was EXHAUSTED just watching her! Here she is (she's the blonde)  with her friend and the California AllStars Smoed Coach, John Cronin.

 
Looking good after practice =)
 
I have had multiple requests to create my top selling First Grade Common Core Morning Work for Second Grade.  I've completed three months so far and have received excellent feedback to date!  I am so glad I decided to do this.  I think it really helped me grasp how the standards change and grow between first and second.  I am sure it will make me a more effective teacher.  I really do love second graders, too. If I ever want to change grades, second would be my first choice.  As I am approaching my tenth consecutive year of teaching first, it may happen!  And if it does, I'll have my morning work all done!!
 
Here is month one:
 
 
Description-
This second grade morning work, designed for the first month of school, meets many math and ELA Common Core Standards.
This product addresses 2. O.A.1, 2. O.A.2, 2. N.B.T.2., 2.N.B.T.4, 2.N.B.T.8, 2.M.D. 3, 2.M.D.6, 2.M.D.7, 2.M.D.8, 2.M.D.10, and 2.G.3. for the math standards.
For language arts, Common Core ELA Standards, this month’s morning work addresses 2L.1., 2L.2., 2L.4., 2.R. F. S. 3, 2.R.L.7, and 2.R.I.T.5.
The product is mostly back and white, so it will cost less to print.
This 25 page product is what you need to keep kids busy while practicing skills so you can do all that you need to in the a.m. without interruption.

 
 
 
Here is month 2:
 

 
Description -This morning work, designed for the second month of second grade, meets many Common Core Standards. For Math, it addresses 2. O.A.1, 2. O.A.2, 2. O.A.3, 2. N.B.T.1., , 2. N.B.T.2, 2.N.B.T.8, 2.M.D. 5, 2.M.D.6, 2.M.D.8, 2.M.D.10, 2. G. 1, 2.G.2 and 2.G.3.
For language arts, Common Core ELA Standards, this month’s morning work addresses 2L.1.a., 2L.1.b., 2L.1.d., 2L.2.a., 2. R. F. S.3.a., 2. R.F.S.3.b., 2. R.F.S.3.e., 2. R.F.S.3.f., 2. R.F.S.4.a., 2.R.I.T.1., 2.R.I.T.2., 2.R.I.T.3., 2.R.I.T.5. and 2.R.I.T.6.
It is mostly in black and white to save you money.
 
 
Here is 2nd Grade Morning Work for the 3rd Month of School:
 
 
Description - This morning work, designed for the third month of second grade, meets many Common Core Standards. For Math, it addresses 2. O.A.1, 2. O.A.2, 2. O.A.3, 2. N.B.T.1., , 2. N.B.T.2, 2.N.B.T.8, 2.M.D. 5, 2.M.D.6, 2.M.D.8, 2.M.D.10, 2. G. 1, 2.G.2 and 2.G.3.
For language arts, Common Core ELA Standards, this month’s morning work addresses 2L.1.a., 2L.1.b., 2L.1.d., 2L.2.a., 2. R. F. S.3.a., 2. R.F.S.3.b., 2. R.F.S.3.e., 2. R.F.S.3.f., 2. R.F.S.4.a., 2.R.I.T.1., 2.R.I.T.2., 2.R.I.T.3., 2.R.I.T.5. and 2.R.I.T.6.
It is mostly in black and white to save you money.

 

Some friends asked me to create a Second Grade Common Core Calendar for SMARTBoard after seeing my first grade versions.  After doing the morning work products, I felt as if I had a good grasp of what they needed to be, so I obliged.  Here is the result:
 



 
This is for August and September of any year.  Here is the product description:  This 24 page SMARTBoard calendar is all you'll need to begin each day of second grade in August and September with a rigorous yet engaging start. It is aligned with CCSS ELA and Math.
This product includes 2 calendars {one for August and one for September}, odd/even days of the month, days of school page, place value days in school, money count, ten and twenty frames, modify-able sight word scramble page, modify-able sight word fluency phrase page, cut out number grid puzzle, fact families, weather graph, temperature recording and comparison page, greater/less than page, skip count page, clock page, flip a coin tally chart with additional graphing opportunities, number line subtraction, number line spinner subtraction, and place value with addition and base ten blocks page.
You can pick and choose which activities to do each day. You and your students will adore this calendar. You MUST have Notebook installed on your computer to access this item!

Here are the standards this products addresses:
Math - 2.O.A.1, 2.O.A.2, 2.O.A.3, 2.N.B.T., 2.N.B.T.2, 2.N.B.T.5, 2.N.B.T.7, 2.N.B.T.8, 2.N.B.T.9, 2.N.B.T.10, 2.M.D.7, 2.M.D.8, and 2.M.D.9.
ELA - 2.R.F.S.3, 2.S.L.1, 2.S.L.4, 2.S.L.5, 2.S.L.6, 2.L.1 and 2.L.3.
 
Check it out here.
 
In closing, today is the one year anniversary of the horrific Aurora Movie Theater shootings.  I am sure most of you remember it but for those that do not-
A year ago a Batman movie came out and had it's first showing at midnight.  During the movie, a man dressed up as the Joker went in fully armed with weapons, smoke bombs, gases, etc and starting shooting.  Twelve people were murdered and countless others had their lives forever changed.  I live in that city.  As a daughter and sister to NYC firefighters, who are often first responders, I know the toll being a first responder.  Unfortunately, September 11th taught many of us that.  Last year, I happened to have a student whose both parents were first responders.  I don't fully understand what images and terror and helplessness are forever etched in their brains but I do know it is.  Our church  challenged  us to go on a street corner and simply pray for our city. As in Jeremiah 29:7 "Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."
My son and I did just that.  First we went to my school's neighborhood and then our own.  It was extremely freeing, if that is a word.  I was intimidated, as was my son, at first, but by the second time we were fine.
 
 
 
 
 
Regardless of your faith or location, please Pray for Aurora, Colorado today.
 
 

 

3 comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I love that your church challenged everyone to pray for Aurora and that you accepted the challenge. :-)

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did. That's my son and I in the photograph! We live in a state with two of the largest mass murders in the USA. It is a beautiful state filled with God bred beauty but brokeness is here, too.Thank you for commenting!
      Cecelia

      Delete
  2. Y'all are in my prayers! God is great!
    Ashley
    www.theblessedocdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete