Home

Meet the Teacher

Shop

Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites Book Study - Chapters 1 and 2

I am excited to be linking up with Elizabeth from Kickin’ It In Kindergarten as part of a book study that started last week.  This book will  help you realize that you are doing things right in your classroom!

If you want to read along, get the book on Amazon by clicking the cover below.


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1412978505/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1412978505&linkCode=as2&tag=bursspekid-20&linkId=3SOTC3SSBUVETAV7
 
 
 
Chapter One - Strategy One: Brainstorming and Discussion


I took a ton of notes and shook my head in agreement when reading this chapter.


 

 
 
I loved this first chapter because it affirmed what I already do.  I believe if you can tell someone about what you learned then you really did learn it.
In the primary grades, discussions need to be facilitated by a teacher so they can be steered in the appropriate direction.  I've watched one too many discussions that ended up nowhere near the topic at hand to know better.
 However, with proper training prior to the intermediate grades, there could be some very powerful discussions with little teacher direction in those grades.
 
 
 
 
 
Math Games
 
 
 
Group work
 
 
 
 
Think, Pair, Share (with movement)
 
 
 
 
Teams during Science
 
 
 
More Math Games
 
 
Here is my thinking on this strategy:
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Chapter 2 -  Strategy 2: Drawing and Artwork
 
 
When my school studied Marzano's strategies years and years ago, I learned that artwork enhances learning.  I would always be the one to draw the "Non-linguistic representation" card during PLC's.  This was my toughest strategy and I would get so anxious about doing the right thing that sometimes I would have panic attacks.  It is hard to represent learning non-linguistically.  But when you can, you know that you really understand.
 
I have always been "crafty".  I am not very good at it but I try.  I have always been a crafty teacher, too.  I know that children who don't normally feel successful in school, really thrive when they get to be creative.  I try to incorporate a lot of drawing and artwork into our busy days.
 
 
 
 
 
Again, I took a lot of notes about when I use this strategy and how to use it more often.
 
Here are some examples of what we've done.

 





 

 

Black History Month
 
 

 
Dr. Seuss Day
 
 
 
Here are my big take-aways:
 
 
 
Linky parties will take place on these different blogs each time. Here is the order so you can plan accordingly :)
Kickin it in Kindergarten- Chapters 1 &2 (February 28th)
Mrs. Wills Kindergarten- Chapter 3 (March 7th)
Queen of the First Grade Jungle Chapter 4 (March 10th)
Fabulous in First  Chapter 5 (March 14th)
One Extra Degree Chapter 6 (March 17th)
Mrs. Jump’s Class Chapter 7 (March 28th)
The First Grade Parade  Chapter 8 (March 31st)
In April, you will be visiting these girls for the remainder of the study:
Mrs. Ehle’s Kindergarten Chapter 9 &10 (April 4th)
What The Teacher Wants Chapter 11 (April 7th)
First Grader At Last Chapter 12 (April 11th)
Erica’s Ed Ventures  Chapter 13 (April 14th)
KinderGals Chapter 14 &15 (April 18th)
A Rocky Top Teacher Chapter 16 (April 21st)
The Inspired Apple Chapter 17 (April 25th)
Little Warriors Chapter 18 (April 28th)
Falling Into First Chapter 19 (May 2nd)
Kickin’ it in Kindergarten Chapter 20 (May 5th)
 
You can join in for whatever part you like! If you are not a blogger, that is OK! We want you to join in on the fun. You can participate in the conversation in the comments. We want this to be a positive collaboration between teachers! The whole point is to encourage each other with inspiring ideas while still using research based best practice.

 
 
 

No comments